Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Teach and Learn

I wanted to share with you all some experiences from the past few weeks. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to play in the LPGA T & CP National Championship and wow, was it eye opening. Dana Rader, our national president, hosted the event and her presence was a source of inspiration and tremendous support. It reminded me how important golf is, and how empowering.
The first thing I should say was that my game was off. I didn’t play my best, but I wasn’t expecting to. I hadn’t been practicing at that level and I just wasn’t there. The amazing thing was that I pulled up my resources. I started talking to myself. Some of my usual mantras: I can, I am, I will. After awhile I wasn’t concerned with how I was playing. I realized what I really wanted from the weekend was to touch down with people I respect. To make connection.
There were five speakers there and I went to hear Cindy Miller. She’s a legend. She’s been in the top 50 for many years and is welcoming, warm and just so delightful. What she really stressed, though, was not proper swing technique, determination or talent. What she stressed was making light of things. She seemed to exude an air of just having FUN. It made me realize that I do this. With my students, on the course, in the classroom, this is my philosophy--- PLAY golf. Have fun. It was a validating moment for me, knowing I bring this to my students, but it also helped me relax with my own game. To not take myself so seriously. To know that even if I don’t play my absolute best being present and enjoying the experiences of the sport are the most important things.
I smiled through the rest of the tournament. It became a move. Right before I took the club I would smile. It was part of my prep. I was able to organize my thoughts with that smile, rein them in. I was focused and fully present. I was joyful. Smiling changed everything.
I also learned that I want someone like Cindy in my life. That it’s not enough to just teach, that I must continually learn. I realized the incredible privilege I have as an instructor and the enormous gift it is to teach lightness and joy in life. I want my children to know they’re the King. I want them to feel grand and big and totally empowered. I want them to know how bright they shine. And through teaching, I want to be taught. I want to reach higher and stretch farther and grow bigger. I want to be my absolute best so I can always be of the utmost service.
Teach, but never forget to learn--
Kate

No comments: