Monday, November 30, 2009

Letting Go







A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of going trapezing in Williamsburg. I am the kind of person who loves to leap, who leads with my heart and lets my head follow, but I admit to being more than a little terrified when I got up there and suddenly it was my turn to swing. What I noticed was that the more concerned I got, the more my body tensed up. There was no way I was going to be able to reach for the bar, let alone grab it. I could barely move my arms from where they were stuck by my sides. It became very clear, very quickly, that I needed another strategy.

Thank god for my years with children who have taught me how to think on my feet! What I decided to do was to trust the man holding me. To breathe. To relax. To let go. My body slacked, loosened. My head cleared and all at once I was ready to leap, ready to fly. Are you getting the metaphor here?

I remember at the beginning of my career being so concerned about getting things right. Would the children be learning? Would I follow my lesson plan? Would I be able to be of service in some way? I remember fearing that the students in my care wouldn’t learn unless I did it the exact “correct” way. It took me perhaps a decade to learn what I want to share with you here…there is no correct way.

The years have allowed me a multitude of lessons, surely, but none as powerful as the ability to trust my own process, to let go and let be. Allow things to happen. You cannot steer your own game. When you try to force something it just doesn’t work. We are all, as human beings, in a constant dialogue with the world around us. It is our job to stay open and alert and communicate with what we are being given at every moment. If you are on the right path you will know because doors will open and hands will come out, ready to lift you higher. If you let go and trust the world, it just might let you fly.

Have a wonderful week!

-Kate

3 comments:

Off-Course Cross-Golfer said...

Kate, great post. I read your mission. Very cool. Have you tried almostGolf balls with your students. We are actually starting a high school and middle school fundraising tour where we actually use field paint and paint golf courses through school campuses, then use the almostgolf ball to play. This might be a cool fundraiser you can do for your organization. http://www.offcoursegolf.net

Keep up the good writing
Rob Peterson

Kate Tempesta said...

Thanks Rob. I love the Almost Golf system! Thanks for the comment.

Kate Tempesta said...

Thanks Rob. I love the Almost Golf system! Thanks for the comment.